Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Eat me.

Aloha to my Family, Friends and all the others who have joined us on this lovely journey.

You are what you eat.

Hear that on a lot? Well it's true. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Or as my Cousin Kristian has posted on her refrigerator:



Today we talk of FOOD!

But first... a DISCLAIMER. I am not a nutritionist. I didn't go to school for nutrition I got my degree in Performing Arts. So please take my advise as a stepping stone... a boost in the right direction. I am not a doctor. I am not a nurse. I am not a psychologist. I am not affiliated with any sort of health industry. You are reading this blog with the full knowledge that Pilialoha K. Nathaniel is not authorized by any school, institution or government to give health and medical advise. If you follow any advise in this blog it is at your own discretion and at your own risk. Okay? Nod if you agree. If you read anything past this paragraph that means you have nodded and you agree.

Today I will introduce to you Cousin Chelsea and Cousin Kristian. Both have made resolutions to eat better and exercise more. How often do you hear those words come out of your mouth. Every year, probably. Well, these two lovely ladies are keeping to their word and doing just that. THEY ARE EATING BETTER and doing it in a way that FITS THEIR STYLE!!!

Cousin Chelsea says: "I will be getting my BS in NURSING this coming December. I am striving toward this degree so that I am able to PROMOTE PREVENTATIVE MEASURES in the community in order to stop/lessen the occurrence of chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. My goal is to KEEP PEOPLE HEALTHY and OUT OF HOSPITALS. I never really thought that I would be interested in this but within the past year, my life has changed greatly." How has Cousin Chelsea turned her LIFE and HEALTH around? Here's one quote she sent me...


Chelsea says, "I am very motivated. I wake up every morning with motivation. After eating healthy throughout the day, I am satisfied with myself for resisting temptation. If i exercise, I am satisfied especially when I get a good sweat. Though, I do have some "bad" days, I am human and remember that I have a goal and will get there. It doesn't take a day to mess it up as long as I get right back on track the next day."

AND KEEP READING!

BUT FIRST... Cousin Kristian just turned twenty-one in December. She is currently an English Major at the University of Hawaii, West Oahu. She is hoping one day to get into Journalism. At her mom and dad's Super Bowl party this past Sunday I overheard her say she was doing a weight loss challenge at her work place. Then, I noticed that she had inspirational quotes posted around her house. It got me thinking about my next blog... THIS BLOG. Thank you for being such an inspiration Kristian.

Here is a text conversation I had with Kristian yesterday:

COUSIN PILI (CP): "Aloha my beautiful CUZ!!! I am focusing my next blog on you and Chelsea. How have you changed your EATING HABITS?"

COUSIN KRISTIAN (CK): "Oh cool! Well, the way I changed my eating is NO FRIED FOODS, less red meat but rather MORE CHICKEN, FISH and GROUND TURKEY. I try to include more veggies into my meals. For example, Instead of a tuna sandwich, I eat tuna with cucumber or with carrots. For BREAKFAST, my body needs something filling. In sticking to HEALTHY EATING I'll eat OATMEAL that I sweeten with either a packet of Splenda or Agave, along with cinnamon and fruits like apple and banana.  I rarely eat rice now. When I do I eat brown rice and LIMIT MYSELF to only a half cup. It is still REALLY FILLING and tasty!!! Desserts are my WEAKNESS!!! So instead of eating a scoop of ice cream, I'll trade it for a light yogurt or a sweet/salty snack like an apple with peanut butter."

CP: "What does that quote on your refrigerator mean to you?"

CK: "Also, NO SODAS or JUICES. They're FULL of EMPTY CALORIES and TONS of UNNEEDED (and refined) SUGARS. The quote on my fridge (see above pic) is a reminder to myself that eating bad will lead to feeling bad. Temporarily the food will be good, but it will lead to your body feeling sluggish for the rest of the day. WHEN I EAT GOOD, I GET MORE ENERGY FOR MY DAY!" In my room I also have a sign that says, "YOU ARE ONLY ONE WORKOUT AWAY FROM A GOOD MOOD!" 


This quote not only MOTIVATES ME to workout, but reinforces that I'll FEEL GOOD about myself and it'll put me in a GOOD MOOD for the day! 

EATING GOOD + WORKING OUT = A HAPPY BODY!!!"

CP: "YOU ARE AWESOME!!!"

CK: "Thanks... I've lost four pounds since Thursday!!!"

CP: "Yeah! Keep it up! You are BEAUTIFUL and I'm not just saying that because I'm related to you! What do YOU think of YOURSELF? "

CK: "I have always been INSECURE about my body, specifically about my weight. Not to sound conceited LOL but I think I am a pretty good looking girl so I realized if my weight is the only thing keeping me from feeling secure with myself and having confidence then... I NEEDED TO CHANGE THAT." 

CP: "Is that what made you change your habits?"

CK: "Ultimately, yes. Along with that, OUR FAMILY has TONS of health issues. Diabetes and high blood pressure being the main ones. I just WANT TO BE HEALTHY so I won't have to struggle on in the future with the burden of needing to take tons of meds and developing arthritis or something."

CP: "You are AMAZING little cousin. You are INSPIRATIONAL. I can't wait to publish your BEFORE and AFTER pictures! I can't wait to write about my beautiful cousin WHO GOT HEALTHY! You are not being conceited!!! You are BEAUTIFUL and FUCKING AMAZING!

CK: "Thanks for the words of encouragement! I really appreciate it. Those kind of things help me to stay on track and remind me that it'll all be worth it in the end! And our whole family is beautiful! LOL! That's why we're such camera whores! Hahaha!

CP: "Hahaha! Serious though. YOU. ARE. BEAUTIFUL! Love you Kristian. Have an awesome day!"

CK: "Thanks! You're gawwgeous yourself! Love you and have a good day!"

CP: *blush*
Kristian. 
...

Talking about "gawwgeous" girls... my COUSIN CHELSEA. She inspired me to start writing this blog in the first place. Go HERE to find out how she got me to not only WRITE but to maybe help our family live HEALTHIER and HAPPIER lives. Or... at least give them a good laugh. LAUGHTER IS HEALTHY!

Cousin Chelsea and I have had numerous conversations about my health (which I will have to write an entire blog about... later) and her health. We have talked in person, on the phone, in text and by email. I am going to paste together those awesome conversations with my GAWWGEOUS Cousin Chelsea here...

COUSIN PILI (CP): "CHELSEA!!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I'm doing my next blog on eating! I'm going to feature you and Kristian. I wanna write about what you said about portion control. Do you have anything else to add? How are you eating better?"

COUSIN CHELSEA (CC) "How am I eating better? Honestly, eating healthy is super duper expensive! I am currently a full time college student and am not working. I live with my boyfriend and brother whom I am very grateful for supporting me through this journey. Anyways, while very expensive, I am eating way more fruits and vegetables than I used to. My biggest change though is "portions, portions, portions." It is not possible for me to cut anything out and just stick with the healthy meats, salmon, chicken, and turkey, it is so expensive that I wouldn't be able to sustain it."

CP: "You are absolutely right!!! HEALTHY can be EXPENSIVE! What is your usual food schedule?"

CC: "Breakfast: I usually eat oatmeal in almond milk with bananas and strawberries, yogurt with kashi cereal, just kashi cereal, or protein pancakes.

Snacks: Carrots, fruits, tofu, etc.

Lunch: Normally left-overs from the night before. Save money!


Dinner: I eat what the boys eat, just a small portion with lots of water. No matter how tasty the food, I just remind myself that I really don't need that much. If I am still hungry, I eat unlimited vegetables and eat more water."

Also, I AM NO LONGER EATING FAST FOOD, not like I used to eat a lot before, but it was a go to when I would be hungry and nothing was prepared. The key is to not make it an option, IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG TO MAKE A SMALL MEAL. I also am not drinking juice or soda, unless it's 100% orange juice with my vitamins as it helps absorb the nutrients."

CP: "So you haven't CHANGED your DIET... YOU'VE IMPROVED IT. Awesome. What is your exercise routine?"

CC: "I exercise at least 5 times per week. I do cardio for at least thirty minutes, normally on the elliptical and sweat like a river :) It feels awesome. If I have time and not much homework, I also weight train. Exercise, while is is great for your physical health, it is also very beneficial to your mental health...just fyi :)"


 This quote motivates me to exercise because no matter what, there is always time for at least a quick round of cardio. Even if I'm tired, working out for twenty minutes will be much more beneficial to me than just sleeping. I can sleep at night."

CP: "Yeah... my crazy mind definitely is less spastic now that I hit the gym almost everyday. Now a little about what makes you tick. What are you studying in school? What do you aspire to?

CC: "I will be getting my BS in nursing this coming December. I am striving toward this degree so that I am able to promote preventative measures in the community in order to stop/lessen the occurrence of chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. My goal is to keep people healthy and out of the hospitals. I never really thought that I would be interested in this but within the past year, my life has changed greatly. What I have experienced, I don’t want others to need to experience it either. I figure if I can change my habits and get healthy perhaps I could be MOTIVATION (see quote at the top of this blog) to others to do the same. I would never force others to do this, as it is their own choice, but I just want people to know that it is possible. Almost a year ago, I made a promise to someone that I would get healthy and that is exactly what I am going to do. I need to do it for him as well as for myself."

CP: "HOLY SHIT!!! BS in Nursing!!! You should be writing this blog! You are AWESOME Chelsea! CONGRATS!!! Last questions: I KNOW that YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. How do YOU view YOURSELF? What made you decide to CHANGE YOUR LIFE?"


CC: "How do I view myself? I don’t necessarily see myself as being obese, as my numbers would say if I were to put it into a computer program. I just see myself as needing to make improvements. I know that I am nowhere near as fit as I can be. I am not one to look at pictures of fitness experts and wish my body would be like theirs because I know that even though I work hard, I may not look quite like them. I JUST WANT TO BE THE BEST I CAN POSSIBLY BE. If I can do this for myself I can cut down many of my risk factors for chronic diseases that I am at risk for, hypertension, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. I am seriously scared that one day I will succumb to one of these. Though it may eventually happen, I want to do whatever in my power in order to decrease my chances."

Chelsea and I. The normal picture is not normal.

Love, Aloha and Eat, 

Cousins Pili, Chelsea and Kristian

PS: Cousin Chelsea has lost TWELVE POUNDS since starting her plan! She looks good and feels good! MOTIVATION!!!! Thank you for the INSPIRATION! 


















No comments: