Sunday, April 7, 2013

Asking for HELP.

Maybe. JUST MAYBE.

Maybe one day I will take my own advice. But my STUBBORN hard-head won't even listen to ME! I FORGOT to read my own words! 

"What's wrong with you now, Pili?" You ask.

Well... because I didn't ask for HELP, I didn't tell the people that love me how much pain I was in AND because I thought I was such a TOUGH COOKIE that could DEAL with the pain... I was rewarded with about two dozen needles poking out of my back at about 9PM last night. Today? Mostly in pain and not really moving much. 

"What happened?" 

After about a week of self-medicating (Advil), self-massage and telling myself that my back pain will go away without professional help... My back went out. I have an old injury from 1999ish in my upper back due to someone hugging me too tight. 

Yes... I said HUGGING me too tight. Long story. Maybe I'll tell you the story later.

When will I learn?

I was actually okay for awhile until I got into a car accident in my mid-twenties that pretty much re-messed up my upper back and neck. But did I get it checked out then? Nope. Not until a few months later when my back went out SO BAD that to THINK about MOVING was like having a billion ton elephant do ballet on my spinal cord. I asked for help then... BUT NOT FORCEFULLY ENOUGH. I had to drive my stubborn ass to my Yoga Instructor who gave me an adjustment and some Advil. That was a painfully painful experience on so many levels. First, the person I was with did NOT help me because I was not FORCEFUL enough. Second, I was too stubborn to call anyone else. Third, It felt like someone was punching me repeatedly in my neck and upper back. That was in the year 2007ish.

My back has gone out a few times since then and in the past two years I haven't had any problems because I have taken myself to SEE SOMEONE. In the last six months I've been going to an amazing  chiropractor but I haven't found a new one since I moved.

So lets come back to my sore-ass knotted back and neck now in the present. Now I am 32. I should be ALOT smarter about shit like this. BUT I AM NOT. Have I learned something from this? Yes.

1) ASK FOR HELP!
2) If no one hears you... ASK AGAIN! Or ASK SOMEONE ELSE and KEEP ASKING.
3) The people who love you and care about you will move mountains to HELP YOU. BUT they can't READ YOUR MIND. You have to tell them, "I NEED HELP AND THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH."

Just so you are not worried...  I am going to see the same acupuncturist tomorrow and then a new chiropractor on Tuesday.

Help your neighbor. Help your friend. Help your Family. Help YOURSELF be healthy and stay healthy.

Love and Aloha,

Cousin Pili

The Sun rises on another day at Haleakala...




No comments: