Friday, June 7, 2013

No. I will not be your friend. An ode to Facebook.

Fuck you Social Media.

Well... I can't blame social media for the stupid shit that happened in my life before I could speak, write or walk. I can't blame social media for people who want to "friend" me when they haven't even at LEAST sent me a message saying... "Hi, Pili! How are you?"

MY DISCLAIMER: So sorry folks... I know I keep on saying that I'll get back on a schedule... and I will. I have just been a little busy with work and writing my book. BUT enough of me apologizing to you, dear friend, and back to my disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I am not a nurse. I am not a psychologist. Though, I SHOULD PROBABLY GO SEE ONE just to sort though all the shit that's happened in my life (mostly without my conscious knowledge) so that I can write an award winning DRAMA! But enough about that... I am not affiliated with any sort of health industry. You are reading this blog with the full knowledge that Pilialoha K. Nathaniel is not authorized by any school, institution or government to give health and medical advise. If you follow any advise in this blog it is at your own discretion and at your own risk. Okay? Nod if you agree. If you read anything past this paragraph that means you have nodded and you agree.

Fuck You Facebook you heartless bitch.

WELCOME BACK MY Family, Friends and other assorted people... Today I will speak about FRIENDSHIP. 

Please. PLEASE! Please, in this crazy world of Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Myspace (does that one even exist anymore?) and other such social media sites, PLEASE do not forget the REAL meaning of "FRIENDING" someone. Do not forget how to be a REAL FRIEND. Do not forget about FRIENDSHIP.

However you became a FRIEND or MADE a FRIEND... WORK, LAUGHTER, BLOOD, TEARS, FIGHTS, HUGS... a whole lot of STUFF went into the MAKING OF A FRIENDSHIP. It was MORE than just a Click of a Button.

We CREATE FRIENDSHIPS... and YES, FRIENDSHIPS can start online. Friendship is respect. Friendship is knowing that someone loves and cares for you. Friendship is that little text you get from someone you haven't heard from in years that just thought of you and wants to just check in. Friendship is healing someone elses wounds and letting yours be healed as well. Friendship is HISTORY. Friendship in PRESENT. Friendship is a gift of a FUTURE.

I have heard that there are three types of friends. The Friend of the Past. The Friend of the MOMENT. And the FOREVER FRIEND. That is what I have heard. I believe though that no matter how long or how momentary that LOVE was it IS a CREATION that will forever be a part of you. Whether or not it has lasted a lifetime or if it was in passing, whether or not it is constant or ended badly... this FRIENDSHIP is part of you.

The BEST FRIENDS are often FAMILY. I am so lucky to have the best FAMILY-FRIENDS or FRIENDS who happen to share the same ancestors. I am BLESSED.

I am actually going FAR past the point I was trying to make. Here is the crux of my story today my dear FAMILY and FRIENDS or FRIENDLY FAMILY. Someone has asked to be my "FRIEND" on Facebook. Someone from my past that I have had little to no contact with. Someone who might actually upset my REAL FRIENDS if they showed up on my FRIENDS LIST. Don't ask who it is... they have not been of much consequence in my life thus far so its not really important to know WHO they are. The IMPORTANT part is the grand LESSON to be learned. 

For a friend... I would move heaven and earth. For a friend... I would lay down my life. For a friend... I would hit the "accept" button on the "So and So wants to be your friend..." pop up screen. 

Unfortunately, this person is not my friend and asking to be my friend on Facebook is a very low blow to a self-esteem I have to work very hard to keep up. It is the realization that a RELATIONSHIP that should have meant more has been whittled down to the click of a button on my computer screen. 

So... I am sorry Facebook for my swear words earlier. It really isn't your fault that you make it so much easier to keep in contact with people. Most of the time I TRULY thank you for that. In this current scenario I believe I will hit the "ignore" button and get on with my life. 

In the words of one of my BEST FRIENDS: MY MOM, "The past is the past. What happened is in the past. It already happened and there is no need to re-live it again." She said something like that to me back when I was just barely past turning Eighteen. 

I am TRULY BLESSED with AWESOME FAMILY and AWESOME FIRENDS who have CONSTANTLY CHOSEN WITHOUT FAIL or EXCUSE to be in and a part of my life.

Thank you for your FRIENDSHIP,

Pili




No comments: